Regular maintenance is the key to keeping your car in tip-top condition, everybody knows that. What not many people know, however, is that it all starts with ensuring that your tires are properly inflated and well-balanced at all times. You do that by checking the air pressure in your tires to make sure that neither of them is off-balance or in danger of blowing up. Not many people realize this but a slightly deflated tire can cause your car to lean a certain way as you drive, possibly pulling you towards incoming traffic in the process.
You want to avoid your car steering in any direction as you drive, which is an unfortunate side effect of having one or more deflated tires. To prevent that, you have to check your tire pressure on a regular basis or at least as often as you get the chance. A good way to do that without visiting a mechanic is to employ a tire pressure gauge. For the most part, these devices are widespread, relatively small in size, and very easy to use. To give you a good idea of what’s out there, we put together a list of the ten best tire pressure gauges money can buy.
Best Tire Pressure Gauges – Reviews & Buying Guide
10Accu-Gage 60 PSI Dial Gauge
Ingeniously crafted using high-quality materials, the Accu-Gage 60 PSI Dial Gauge features a design that resembles a classic stopwatch. With the ability to reinforce your tire pressure for up to 60 PSI, this tire pressure gauge is compact in size and super easy to carry and store in your toolbox. Featuring a Bourdon Tube style Dial, it also comes with a straight chuck and a check valve to keep the pressure in and a bleeder button to release the pressure. Ideal for simply checking tire pressure, this device can be utilized on cars, cycles, motorbikes and other smaller vehicles.
- It boasts a very convenient yet ingenious design
- Uses a bourdon tube style dial gauge
- Enables you to check a tire’s valve integrity as well
- Relatively inexpensive given its reliability
- The release button tends to stick
- It makes rattling noises when used too often
9Slime Digital Gauge 20017
The Slime Digital Gauge 20017 is a premium quality device you can use to inflate tires while ensuring the gas mileage of your vehicle gets considerably improved as a result. Equipped with an easy to read LCD display screen, this tire pressure gauge comes with an automatic shut off feature to help extend the battery life and a reset button for numerous quick tire readings. Made from high-quality materials, this tire gauge features a rubber grip that is designed to provide comfort. Unlike most of its kind, it also comes with a green lighted tip along with a backlight on the display screen, for better visibility at night.
- Features an LCD easy-to-read display
- Comes with an auto shut-off feature
- Its inbuilt green translucent lighted tip allows you to use it at night
- It is rather compact in size and easy to store
- Its outer casing could be harder
- Has to be powered off before repeating the measuring process
8Milton Single Chuck Pencil Tire Gauge
Milton’s Single Chuck Pencil Tire Gauge is an ingenious device made with mechanical components. Including an inbuilt vale for deflation, single chuck head and a white indicator bar made from nylon, this pressure gauge is designed to provide accurate quick results. With the ability to measure pressure ranging from 5 to 50 PSI in 1 pound increments, it can also measure Kilopascal 40 to 350 in 10 kPa intervals. Ideal for smaller vehicles, this device is perfect for use in cold weather conditions. Known for its durability and reliability, it is the perfect travel accessory and helps in the maintenance and care of your car tires.
- Its mechanical construction ensures its long-term reliability
- Comes with a built-in deflator valve and single chuck head
- Measures PSI in 1-lb increments and Kilopascal in 10-kPa increments
- Its compact shape recommend it for travel purposes
- It becomes difficult to read if it gets wet
- The red printing can smear over time
7AstroAI Digital Tire Gauge
Thanks to the green LCD backlit display and flashlight, the AstroAI Digital Tire Gauge offers optimum visibility in low light areas and enables users to easily read and measure the tire pressure on their vehicle. Designed to extend the life of your tires and reduce wear and tear, this pressure gauge features a robust stainless steel body with an anti-slip, textured handle. With a nozzle that quickly forms a seal with the stem of the valve, it provides accurate readings at 0.1 intervals. It also features a standard on/off switch that turns off the tool but also allows users to choose the range preferred. To help save power and battery life, it also comes with an automatic shut off feature that turns off the tool after being idle for 30 seconds.
- Its nozzle forms a seal with the valve stem
- Can be operated using a single button
- Uses an easy-to-read LCD display
- Features a flashlight function
- May not fit some dealer installed valve extensions
- The outer casing feels a bit flimsy
6Astro AI Tire Inflator with Pressure Gauge
The Astro AI Tire Inflator with Pressure Gauge is made to provide accurate readings within 1% of the actual tire pressure. With an ability to measure a pressure range going from 0 to 250 PSI, it provides readings in various measurement formats including PSI, KPAKg/cm and bar. Constructed with heavy duty stainless steel and brass elements, this tire pressure gauge features a large LED-backlit display, a hose, an inflation gun, a chuck and a bleed valve all in one. Suitable for all kinds of vehicles, including cars, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles, and bicycles, this gauge properly inflates tires improving its performance on the roughest roads while eliminating the chance of crashes, flat tires, and explosions. It also helps with saving fuel and increasing mileage.
- Benefits from a cleverly designed form
- Delivers a near-perfect measurement accuracy
- Can gauge PSI, KPA, Bar, and Kg/cm3 readings
- Enjoys quite a sturdy and reliable build
- You can expect some issues tightening it up at first
- Requires a fair amount of pressure to attach it to the tire
5Astro AI 4-Setting Gauge
Available in 3 vibrant colors to choose from, the Astro AI 4-Setting Gauge features a top-notch backlit display screen and a lighted nozzle for added visibility in low-lit areas. Uniquely crafted to maintain accurate tire pressure and extend tire life, this device instantly displays readings, unlike analog gauges. Equipped with a nozzle that forms a tight seal with the valve stem, it provides accurate readings within 0.5 increments. It also features a simple on/off button that also works as a range selector and an automatic 30 second shut off function to help save power. Thanks to its well-designed, non-slip textured grip, it is easy to hold and suitable for men and women. Ideal for bicycles, cars, motorbikes, trucks and other vehicles, it is not compatible with Presta stems.
- Uses a backlit LCD display with a lighted nozzle
- Its nozzle can form a seal with the valve stem
- Easy to operate using a single button
- Can be used with virtually any type of tire
- It could be a lot sturdier construction-wise
- The instruction sheet is severely lacking in content
4Tire Tek Flexi-Pro Car & Motorcycle Gauge
Built with premium quality steel with an extended chuck tip measuring 5mm in size, the Tire Tek Flexi-Pro Car & Motorcycle Gauge is crafted for heavy duty use, ensuring no leakages to speak of. Known for its durability and robust design, it comes with a rubber covering to keep it protected from outer damage. Thanks to its 360 degrees angled nozzle that can be easily rotated, it allows users to take quick readings from any angle. Featuring a large-sized scale and a pressure holding function, it keeps the reading on the scale even after removing the gauge. With no batteries needed to operate the device, this handy mechanical gauge is calibrated to ANSI B40.1 and ideal for all types of weather conditions.
- Its sturdy steel construction ensures its durability
- Benefits from a 360-degree angled rotating nozzle
- Requires no batteries to function
- Can be used with a variety of tires
- Can sometimes hold the measured pressure after being disconnected
- May not work well with FLSTFB wheels
3Accutire MS-4021B Digital Gauge
Known for its durability and performance, the Accutire MS-4021B Digital Gauge is a heavy duty tire pressure gauge designed with a robust construction. Thanks to its uniquely crafted angled nozzle with a handle coated with premium quality rubber, it offers an optimum grip and a good hold. The gauge also features a large LCD display that is easy to read and an automatic shut off function to ensure there is no deflation and also to ensure a long battery life. The gauge is accurate to within 0.5 PSI and comes with the ability to read air pressure from 5 to 150 PSI in 0.5-pound intervals.
- Enjoys a heavy-duty construction with a rugged design
- Features an angled head and rubber coated handle
- Has an inbuilt, easy-to-read LCD display
- It is very accurate within 0.05 PSI
- The handle feels a bit flimsy
- Its LED display is a bit difficult to read at night
2Jaco Elite Pro Pressure Gauge
Jaco Elite Pro Pressure Gauge is a premium device designed to produce accurate tire readings in all weather conditions and as often as required. Highly rated by experts worldwide and approved by car mechanics everywhere, this pressure gauge is calibrated to ANSI B40.1, meaning that it delivers professional readings by even the highest standards. Featuring a robust body and heavy-duty construction and protected by a rugged rubber guard, it comes with a flexible leak-proof hose that makes checking tire pressure an easy task. Thanks to its inbuilt air-bleeder valve, it ensures tires do not get overinflated. It also comes equipped with a swivel chuck that rotates 360 degrees, enabling easy pressure reading from any angle. With a 2 inch large glow in the dark dial, it measures pressure at 60PSI and locks in the results until the reset button is pushed.
- Feels rather solid when handled
- Its robust design ensures its long-term reliability
- Provides highly accurate readings
- Features a large, 2-inch glow dial with easy-to-read display
- The last recorded reading can get stuck until reset
- You have to push it really hard to connect it to the valve
1P.I Auto Store Digital Gauge
Designed using premium grade elements, the P.I Auto Store Digital Gauge is an ultra-durable and highly accurate tire pressure gauge by most standards. With the ability to inflate a medium-sized tire in just 3 minutes, the pump features an airflow of 35 L/minute. Equipped with an LCD screen, it features various controls with settings that can easily be input to help you monitor the tire pressure at any given time. Easy to use, this tire pressure gauge can be connected to any 12 V power outlet, including a cigarette lighter socket. Portable and compact in size, this device is space efficient and can be stored in the trunk of your car with ease. This makes it ideal for bicycles, cars, motorbikes, SUVs, RVs and other sports gear that needs inflating. This tire pressure gauge also comes with 8 LED lights with 3 variable settings including a flashlight, emergency SOS and a flashing red.
- Benefits from a user-friendly interface
- Its versatile nature enables you to use it with any type of tire
- Comes with a carry case, valve adaptor, and four spare dust caps
- Enjoys a very compact yet robust design
- Can get very hot after being used repeatedly
- Uses a plastic nozzle for the tire valve connection
More products also worth checking out:
Tire Pressure Gauge Buying Guide
Ensuring that your tires are inflated correctly is essential not just for improving your mileage but also to prevent your car from steering sideways by itself. Although it’s a tedious job and takes a lot of time and energy, it does aid in preventing flats or chances of accidents and explosions. Keeping your tires in tip-top shape helps improve your driving experience and increases the durability of your tires. You do, however, need to make an effort and understand that there are different types of pressure gauges and that they differ according to specific factors you must consider to help with the upkeep and maintenance of your vehicle.
What is a Tire Pressure Gauge?
A tire pressure gauge is a portable device that is used to measure the amount of pressure in a car tire. Mostly for safety reasons, it is necessary to ensure your tires are properly inflated. If your car tires have too much or too little air, it could cause accidents and hamper your driving experience. Tires that have too much air tends to utilize more fuel, which is just one of the reasons why it is important for you to check the tire pressure each time you visit a fuel station.
Types of Tire Pressure Gauges
- Stick Type: This type of tire pressure gauge resembles a pen. Light in weight, compact in size, and extremely portable, this gauge model is fairly cheaper but not always accurate as compared to digital versions.
- Digital Type: Similar to the design of a calculator, this type of tire pressure gauge features an LCD or LED screen that may or may not be backlit. Resistant to outer damage and dirt, this gauge is slightly bigger in size and require batteries to power them up.
- Dial Type: This type of pressure gauge comes with a clock face design that has a needle to indicate the amount of air pressure present in the tire. Some of these gauges come with an extension hose, a bleeder valve, and a dual dial. Easier to read and understand, these ones are a bit more expensive and bulkier in size.
What To Consider When Buying A Tire Pressure Gauge
- User-friendly Interface – Above all, a tire pressure gauge should be easy to use. Selecting one that can be operated with one hand is definitely a better choice in this respect. Stick and digital tire pressure gauges, for example, only require single-handed operation whereas dial type gauges require two hands.
- Easy to Read Display – Analog tire pressure gauges are not easy to read and some users might find it difficult to understand the readings especially in low light conditions. However, digital tire pressure gauges come with a backlit LCD or LED display that allow quick and easy understanding of the results shown.
- Durability – Depending on the materials and the quality of the build, digital and dial gauges are much more resistant to wear and tear. With the proper care and maintenance, most tire pressure gauges can last a long time. You must also keep in mind that a good tire pressure gauge should withstand any type of weather condition without getting damaged.
- Cost – With the many different types of pressure gauges available, you may very well find inexpensive gauges to buy, but you cannot expect them to produce accurate readings. While you keep your budget in mind, do not compromise on quality, as a cheaper tire pressure gauge might not last you very long either.
- Accuracy – Inaccurate tire pressure gauges are pretty much useless. Always check reviews and consumer ratings to see which tire pressure gauges are budget-friendly and offer accurate readings at the same time. To some extent, newer versions of digital gauges and stick gauges usually provide accurate readings across the board.