People sometimes overlook the importance of having a fuel efficient car and how much money such a car can save them in the long run. Few people actually realize that their car becomes less fuel efficient with the passing of time and that it requires actual maintenance to prevent that. A good way to ensure that your car is always performing as it should is to employ a fuel system cleaner on a regular basis, so as to clean out any impurities that settle down on your car’s fuel injection line.
By doing that on a regular basis, you clean the fuel track of any impurities and allow your car to develop a much stronger pull. This is because over time, your engine releases oxidizing by-products like carbon, rust, varnish, and dirt, which can seriously clog the track to the point where your car loses a great deal of power. These impurities corrode the machine parts inside your engine, causing not only loss of power but serious damage to your engine overall.
Seeing how important a fuel system cleaner can be, you should definitely consider investing in one if you haven’t already. These cleaners are easy to come by for the most part and they are even easier to use. That said, keep in mind that they cannot all be expected to perform the same, especially if you’re buying a low-end brand. To help you find a good one, we put together a list of the ten best fuel system cleaners the market has to offer at this point in time.
Best Fuel System Cleaners – Reviews & Buying Guide
103M 08813 Complete Fuel System Cleaner
Protecting your engine against any buildup of carbon, the 3M 08813 complete fuel system cleaner bottle helps in restoring your engines optimal performance level. Uniquely crafted to clean intake valves as well as combustion chambers, this fuel system cleaner can easily take care of one take of gas at a time. It also removes all traces of dirt and deposits left back by the fuel injector. Not only does it help to restore power, it also gets rid of and prevents stalling, hesitation and any signs of poor performance that is caused due to a dirty fuel system.
- Cleans gasoline direct injection systems with no issues whatsoever
- Takes care of intake valves and combustion chambers
- Enjoys a long-lasting effect that requires re-usage every 3,000 miles
- Comes in an easy-to-pour bottle
- The formula lasts for a very long time after the seal has been broken
- Does not include a delivery nozzle
- Some cars may require an adapter
9Mr. Gasket Cataclean Fuel and Exhaust System Cleaner
Available in a pack of two the Mr. Gasket (120007-2PK) Cataclean Fuel and Exhaust System Cleaner works towards decreasing the total hydrocarbon emission by 50%. It is uniquely designed to reduce the buildup of carbon in the fuel injectors, catalytic converter, cylinder heads, and oxygen sensors, which in turn helps in fuel efficiency. It also helps reduce hesitation, stalling, rough idle and lost fuel economy and helps improve the overall performance and drivability of your vehicle. Face for utilizing with gasoline, hybrid, diesel, and flex-fuel automobiles. It should, however, not be used in 2-stroke oil and gas mix engines.
- Particularly effective in dealing with catalytic converter problems
- Known to perform well in cars with a high mileage
- Safe to use for gasoline, diesel, hybrid, and flex-fuel vehicles as it doesn’t alter fuel
- Can reduce carbon build-up over time if used regularly
- Reduces hydrocarbon emissions considerably
- Cannot be used in 2-stroke or oil/gas mix engines
- Doesn’t last too long if improperly stored
8BG CF5 Fuel System Treatment
The BG CF5 Fuel System Treatment is a premium quality cleaner that has been designed to treat fuel tanks every 3,000 miles to 5,000 miles approximately. With the ability to keep the intake valves, ports and manifolds as well as combustion chambers clean and protected from deposits that could damage the engine, this cleaner helps improve your engine’s performance considerably. Anti-rust, and anti-corrosion by formula, it provides durability and stability while protecting the system from the harmful effects of ethanol. One can of BG CF5 Fuel System Treatment can treat up to 57 liters of fuel at a time.
- Comes in a very big can that can last you for a considerable time
- Uses a long-lasting formula that saves you the trouble of having to re-apply it constantly
- Can treat up to 15 gallons (57 Liters) of fuel at a time
- Completely safe for catalytic converters and oxygen sensor engines
- Its formula can reduce rust deposits considerably
- Might take some time to work with older vehicles
- Can interfere with the contents of your tank if you use too much of it
7Lucas Oil 10512 Deep Clean Fuel System Cleaner
The Lucas Oil 10512 Deep Clean Fuel System Cleaner takes care of removing all traces of carbon from your fuel system. Designed to eliminate and prevent pinging and knocking of the engine, this cleaner reduces the level of nitrous oxide which is sometimes emitted by your engine, a chemical that can be very toxic. With the ability to treat up to 30 gallons of fuel, this fuel system cleaner helps improve the mileage and overall performance of your vehicle.
- Works well with virtually all engine types
- It can eliminate knocking and pinging almost entirely
- Formulated to remove carbon deposits and reduce harmful nitrous oxide emissions
- Comes in an easy-to-pour bottle that also makes it easy to store
- Relatively affordable considering its effectiveness
- Less effective with older engines
- A slightly bigger bottle couldn’t hurt
6Liqui Moly 2007 Jectron Gasoline Fuel Injection Cleaner
The Liqui Moly 2007 Jectron Gasoline Fuel Injection Cleaner is known for its reduction of fuel consumption and effective combustion cleaning abilities. This fuel system cleaner helps to reduce and prevent all starting issues, stalling as well as hesitation, improving the performance of your vehicle. Offering a much for efficient throttle response and smoother idling, this cleaner helps to remove all traces of carbon buildup from the system. This allows you to experience cleaner emissions and a much more powerful performance overall. The bottle also comes designed with a special spout attached for easier input.
- The attached spout is a big plus
- It delivers a much smoother idling if used regularly
- Guaranteed to offer a better throttle response long-term
- It is one of those cleaners that also helps with the engine’s combustion
- Can be stored with ease on account of its sturdy recipient
- It comes in a relatively small yet sturdy can
- Low efficiency with some mid-range engines
5STABIL (22275) Fuel Treatment and Stabilizer
Backed up by the latest Vapor Technology, the STABIL (22275) Fuel Treatment and Stabilizer helps keep the engine and the fuel system protected both above and below the fuel line. Not only does it stabilize fuel in order to keep it fresh when stored, it also helps prevent any damage that can be caused due to ethanol. Designed to remove water and prevent corrosion damages to the engine and fuel system, it improves and enhances the overall performance levels of your vehicle.
- Packs a vapor technology aimed at protecting the engine and the fuel system
- When used consistently, it will stabilize the fuel to keep it fresh in storage
- Has the capacity to prevent corrosion damage and remove water
- Prevents Ethanol fuel-related damage in small engines
- Comes in a sufficiently practical bottle
- Takes a while to work with some engines
- The bottle is somewhat difficult to hold
4Royal Purple Max-Clean Fuel System Cleaner and Stabilizer
The Royal Purple Max-Clean Fuel System Cleaner and Stabilizer is a 3-in-1 fuel cleanser that helps to clean the entire fuel system, in turn improving the overall performance of your vehicle. With the ability to boost the fuel economy at an average of 3.2%, it also helps increase horsepower at an average of 2.6%. Designed to prevent stalling, hesitation, and rough idle, it helps to reduce and clean out nitrous oxide, carbon and hydrocarbon emissions. Not only that but it can also remove all traces of water from your fuel system.
- Formulated to improve fuel economy to a much bigger degree than many cleaners in this price range
- Reduces hydrocarbon, NOx, and CO emissions to a considerable margin
- Prevents rough idling, hesitation, and stalling in most engines
- Works exceptionally well with newer vehicles
- Can treat p to 20 gallons of fuel at a time
- Barely noticeable performance in old engines
- Repeat usage required to see noticeable differences in fuel economy
3Red Line (60103) Complete SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner
Popular for its premium quality and high performance, the Red Line (60103) Complete SI-1 Fuel System Cleaner ensures 100% efficiency with just one treatment. Not only is it safe and reliable, it also boosts the level of your fuel octane by 2 points. Designed to treat vehicles that have been unused and neglected for long periods of time, this fuel system cleaner effectively improves and enhances the performance of the vehicle ensuring there are no carbon buildups. It also lowers the levels of Nitrous Oxide and Carbon on emission and helps to remove all traces of water from the engine.
- Works a lot faster than most cleaners in its class
- It is 100% safe to use at shorter intervals than what its manufacturers suggest
- The fact that it contains a synthetic upper cylinder lubricant is a big plus
- Works with virtually all engine types
- A lot more efficient than many cleaners in its price range
- The bottle is a bit small
- A bit expensive considering its size
2Chevron 67740-CASE Techron Concentrate Plus
The Chevron 67740-CASE Techron Concentrate Plus is a complete fuel system cleaner that works towards cleaning, protecting, and restoring the entire fuel mechanism, which includes the intake valves, the fuel injectors, combustion chambers, and carburetors. For those vehicles dealing with lost power, acceleration issues, lost fuel economy, and poor performance of the fuel gauge sensor, this particular cleaner is more or less perfect; not only for restoring them but also for increasing their durability and reliability. It also helps reduce spark fouling, rough idle, hesitation, and engine surge while improving the overall fuel stability for one year at least.
- Improves cold start performance and fuel stability
- Guaranteed to work for more than 3,000 miles on a single use
- Particularly useful for motorcycles, ATVs, RVs, dirt bikes, and boats
- Has a longer lasting effect than most cleaners with similar formulas
- Well-made and easy to store
- Quite expensive by most standards
- Less efficient for older engines
1Sta-Bil 22207-12PK Fuel Stabilizer
Designed to keep fuel fresh for up to 2 years in storage, the Sta-Bil 22207-12PK Fuel Stabilizer ensures it maintains the quality of your fuel throughout. Not only does it prevent and reduce the buildup of gum and varnish, this fuel system cleaner also ensures you experience quick and easy starts after storage. It also works towards eliminating water from the engine, aiding in preventing any water corrosion from taking place. Available at a budget-friendly price, this product comes in a case of 12 for good measure. Overall, it is perhaps one of the best fuel system cleaners money can buy.
- Very effective for virtually all types of engines
- Formulated to prevent gum and varnish build-ups
- It eliminates the need to drain the fuel prior to storage
- Can keep fuel fresh for up to 24 months in storage conditions
- Works well with all gasoline types, including Ethanol blends
- The price tag can be quite a setback for some
- The packaging is a bit flimsy
More products also worth checking out:
What To Look For In A Fuel System Cleaner?
Experienced drivers are well aware that for their car to perform as required, they need to invest time and effort into proper maintenance and constant care. Seeing how a car’s reliability can decrease over time, you want to prolong its use for as long as possible, and you cannot do that without first taking care of its fuel injection system. This is perhaps the most important component of your car’s engine and it’s the first one to show signs of damage if not properly maintained. To do that you must employ a fuel system cleaner on a regular basis. These cleaners can vary in composition and effectiveness, but they all function on the same basic principles. So for you to make an educated choice on the matter, you must first understand what a fuel system cleaner is and how it works.
What Is A Fuel System Cleaner?
Fuel System Cleaners are uniquely designed to enhance and improve the quality and effectiveness of the fuel in your vehicle. It is a one-stop solution and perhaps the most convenient and valuable way to maintain the performance of your engine as well as to better your car’s fuel economy over time. These cleaners are formulated to remove impurities from the injection system and to prevent any build-ups from slowing down the passage of fuel through the system.
Benefits of a Fuel System Cleaner
In order to understand what a fuel system cleaner is, how it works and its benefits, you must understand its benefits, the way it acts, and how to best make use of it. Seeing how there isn’t a universally accepted standard for what a fuel system cleaner should do, it is advised that you check out the manufacturer’s inputs and how the cleaner is advertised. For the most part, fuel system cleaners are designed to:
Improve Engine Power – Fuel system cleaners help to improve and increase the power of your engine by improving the octane rating of the fuel. This, in turn, helps in providing more power to the engine while utilizing the same amount of fuel.
Help Us Save Money – One of the most popular reasons why people utilize fuel system cleaners is because it helps to save money. This is simply owing to the fact that it improves the fuel efficiency, increasing the fuel economy by a whopping 8% or more.
Enhance Lubrication – It is known that the utilization of fuel system cleaners helps in the improving the engine lubrication. This results in reduced damage to the combustion system and helps to increase the durability of the engine. It also helps to maintain the life of the engine, minimizing repair costs over time.
Be Environmentally-Friendly – Another great reason why one should utilize fuel system cleaners, is because they help clean out the combustion chambers which translates into a reduced production of toxic emissions over time.
Factors To Consider
While some of you might think that all Fuel System Cleaners are alike, their ingredients and uses are what makes them differ from one other. Although they boast similar results, some might not have the cleaning capabilities of others while a peculiar few are more inclined towards engine maintenance. For the average user, however, a good fuel system cleaner should be chosen based on specific factors.
The first and most important factor that needs to be considered is how well it works? Does it carry out a reasonable job when cleaning your engine from impurities and carbon buildup? Potency is important and one must remember to check more than the label claims of each brand. A good fuel system cleaner must have the capacity to not only clean your engine but maintain its performance and improve its lifespan. This would also lead to lesser emissions over time.
Ease of Use
Another important factor to consider is how easy is it to add a fuel system cleaner to your vehicle? Most cleaners are usually poured directly into the fuel tank, but there are others that must be poured into the fuel line instead. Pouring a fuel system cleaner into the fuel tank directly is much more convenient and time-saving. You should also look into buying a fuel system cleaner that is relatively easy to store.
All Fuel System cleaners carry out what they are usually expected to do, but some manufacturers add additional chemicals and elements that could help to provide added benefits. Not only do these clean and lubricate but some fuel system cleaners also stabilize the engine, remove moisture and water and reduce carbon buildup much more efficiently than others. If possible, it is important to choose a cleaner that would help improve your engine’s overall performance.
With the numerous selections available on the market today, it can be quite challenging to find one that meets all the aforementioned requirements at a reasonable price. In this case, It is not always necessary to select the cheaper product. Here, quality must be given utmost importance because you won’t be using the cleaner on a daily basis and thus, it will ultimately prove an insignificant cost long-term. Selecting an expensive fuel system cleaner could help you save lots of money in the long run. One must always keep in mind the amount of fuel that can be cleaned with just one serving. In this respect, it is better to choose a cleaner that can serve hundreds of liters of fuel in one use.