People who regularly park their cars outside find out rather quickly that it isn’t such a good idea to expose one’s car to the elements, not if you value your car’s paint job and the integrity of its windshield. This doesn’t necessarily mean that you should park it inside a garage, mind you, because many people simply lack the space or resources to build one in the first place.
What you want instead is to invest in a car cover to spread on top of your car every time you plan on having it parked for longer than a couple of days. You also want to employ a car cover come winter time, or whenever the weather takes a turn for the worse. You see, a car cover doesn’t just protect your car against water spots but bird droppings, frost, and various other scratches caused by objects carried by the wind. Let us then find out what are the ten best car covers the market has to offer and what characteristics to look for when buying one.
Best Car Covers – Reviews & Buying Guide
10GUNHYI Winter Car Cover
Known for its high quality and performance, the GUNHYI Winter Car Cover is designed with a 4 layered fabric that makes it ideal for protecting your vehicle from the sun, rain, and snow. Featuring an inner lining made from soft cotton, it ensures the paintwork of your car is protected and scratch-free. Including heavy duty straps located in the back and front, it ensures the cover stays on secured through strong winds. Thanks to the black panel in the front, users can easily determine the front and back of the cover. Light in weight and large in size, this cover can easily fit cars measuring between 176 inches to 190 inches. It also comes with two mirror pockets and a reflective strip that is helpful at night.
- Can fit SUV cars with relative ease
- Surprisingly sturdy given its fabric layered construction
- It is equipped with mirror pockets
- Features straps in front and rear for stability
- Can cause scratches if set up improperly
- Prone to freezing
9Coverking Custom-Fit Vehicle Cover
The Coverking Custom-Fit Vehicle Cover is a premium quality product that is designed with 4 durable layers of fabric to ensure your vehicle is protected from dents, dings, and any outer damage. Offering protection from the harmful UV rays of the sun and during all types of weather conditions, this robust car cover is ideal for both indoor and outdoor use. Thanks to the dual stitch and waxed thread mechanism, the cover comes with the least amount of seams, enhancing the durability and reducing any leakages. Unlike most, this car cover is custom made to fit your car’s specifications according to the model and make of the car. It also features elastic tensioners made from neoprene in the back and front of the cover to ensure it stays firmly in place.
- Made from stormproof materials
- Benefits from a water-resistant and breathable fabric
- Delivers an increased protection against UV rays
- Very easy to deploy
- Quite expensive
- May let a bit of humidity through
8CarsCover Custom Fit 5-Layer Ultrashield Black Covers
Featuring no less than 5 protection layers, the CarsCover Custom Fit is made from weather and water resistant fabric lined with soft fleece. Equipped with two mirror pockets, this car cover is custom made to fit your car perfectly. For added hold and to ensure the cover stays in place during rough weather and wind, it comes with a durable tie-down strap and buckle closure. Light in weight and convenient to use, it comes in a heavy duty carry case that allows easy and compact storage.
- Can fit a wide range of vehicles
- Benefits from a 5-layer construction
- Features a soft fleece lined fabric
- Has two mirror pockets for practical reasons
- Quite pricey when compared to similar covers
- A little too soft to the touch
7Covercraft BMW Custom Fit Car Cover
Made from a high-quality fabric that offers optimum protection during the roughest weather conditions, the Covercraft BMW Custom Fit Car Cover aims at safeguarding your vehicle from harmful UV rays. With polypropylene fibers that are combined with 4 non-woven layers and a bi-component inner lining, this heavy duty car cover is uniquely designed to fit the contour of your car perfectly. Including 2 mirror pockets that are sewed on, the cover features an elastic edge at the bottom that ensures the cover stays tightly in place. It also features grommets for a cable lock and for accommodating a car antenna, if you have one.
- Its fabric provides excellent protection against rain
- Built with polypropylene fibers for added durability
- Has a bottom-edge elastic to cover firmly in place
- Features a custom-made contoured design
- Can let dust through if it gets too windy
- Quite expensive by most standards
6Coverking Custom Fit Car Cover Coverbond 4
Uniquely designed with premium quality material that is resistant to storms and rough weather, the Coverking Custom Fit Car Cover is waterproof and well ventilated. Offering excellent protection from the harmful rays of the sun, this heavy duty car cover ensures your car stays protected from outer damage. Equipped with pockets for the antenna and mirrors it even comes with a license plate window for full visibility. Easy to use, convenient and durable, this car cover is designed with a hellcat logo on the hood, which boosts its style.
- Its 4-layer fabric construction delivers excellent protection
- Made using unique double-stitching and waxed thread technologies
- Features neoprene elastic tensioners
- Benefits from a heavy-duty construction that increases its durability
- Mediocre protection against heavy rain
- Feels a bit rigid at first but loosens up over time
5Carbaba Universal Car Cover for Sedans
Allowing quick and easy release of heat, dampness and moisture, the Carbaba Universal Car Cover for Sedans is made from 1005 breathable material. Offering protection against harmful UV rays that could damage the interior and exterior of your car, this cover is resistant to water, dust, and snow and can withstand any weather condition. The fabric used to make this cover is resistant to scratches and helps protect your vehicles paintwork. Measuring 191 inches in length, 76 inches in width and 56 inches in height, it comes with two pockets for the mirrors and an elastic hem for added hold.
- Its universal design makes it perfect for all sedans
- Offers great protection against dust
- Enjoys a smooth fabric construction
- Quite good when it comes to dampness and condensation
- Not entirely waterproof
- Tends to wrinkle
4Kayme Waterproof All Weather Car Cover
The Kayme Car Cover is a water-resistant product that is made from a single layer of polyester. Light in weight, durable and easy to use, it comes featuring zipper located at the driver’s door to enable easy access. Thanks to the heavy-duty straps located at the back and front, it ensures your cover stays in place during the strongest winds. It also comes with a reflective strip that notifies people of its location at night. Measuring 182 inches to 193 inches, this cover can be used on a Honda Accord, Ford Fusion, Civic Camaro, Toyota Camry and more.
- Offers extra protection against UV rays
- Has a driver door zipper for easy access
- Very light in weight and easy to deploy
- Its single-layer polyester makes it very flexible
- Feels a bit thin
- Not great when it’s windy outside
3Titan Lightweight Car Cover
The Titan Lightweight Car Cover is a premium quality product that is designed for cars like Ford Fusion, Honda Accord, Chevy Malibu, Nissan Altima and more. Made with waterproof fabric with a reflective coating for optimum protection from the harmful UV rays of the sun, this car cover can be used both indoors and outdoors. Thanks to the zipper located at the driver’s door, it allows easy access and comes with straps that click close, ensuring the cover stays in place. Resistant to scratches, featuring a dual layer, it safeguards your car from outer damage and keeps it looking new. For added protection, the cover comes designed with additional security straps at the bottom to ensure the cover is well secured.
- Features a reflective sunscreen layer for extra UV protection
- Has a driver door zipper for easy access
- It is scratch resistant
- Comes with security loops on the bottom
- Can be blown off in windy weather
- Mediocre protection against dust
2Budge Lite Car Cover
Designed to fit cars measuring 200 inches in length, 60 inches in width, and 51 inches in height, the Budge Lite Car Cover is ideal for indoor storage. Featuring double stitching at the seams it offers optimum durability and reliability. With a full elastic edged hem, this car cover stays in place and keeps the vehicle protected. Suitable for a wide range of popular vehicles including Honda Civics, Ford Mustangs, Chevrolet Corvettes, Ford Thunderbirds and more, it enjoys a high-quality polypropylene construction to ensure that it is both protective and flexible at the same time.
- It benefits from a very flexible design
- Features a double-stitched seams construction
- Equipped with a full elastic help to secure it in place
- Enjoys a very versatile design
- Tends to leave flecks behind if used for long periods of time
- It does not cover the car completely
1Leader Accessories Mid Grade Car Cover
Made from premium quality breathable materials, the Leader Accessories Car Cover ensures your car stays dry and free from moisture at all times. Ideal for indoor and outdoor use, the cover keeps your vehicle protected from dirt, dust, UV rays, bird droppings, and industrial pollutants. Thanks to the strap and buckle closure at the bottom of the cover, it keeps the cover in place during strong winds, while protecting your car. Featuring an elastic hem at the edges, it offers a snug fit and grip. For easier storage and carrying, the cover comes with an additional storage bag.
- It is perfect against dust and powerful winds
- Enjoys a more or less windproof design
- Features an elastic hem to secure it firmly in place
- Comes with a storage bag for easy storage
- It’s rather poor against tree sap
- Feels a bit cheap to the touch
More products also worth checking out:
What To Look For In A Car Cover
Protecting your car from damage is important if you would like to maintain its good condition for extended periods of time. A damaged car not only looks bad but can also be the cause of various mechanical problems long-term. One of the easiest ways of keeping your car protected is to ensure you have a good quality cover to cover it. There are many factors that must be taken into consideration before choosing the right kind of cover for your car, including the cover’s flexibility, fabric construction, number of layers, and whether not it is weatherproof to an acceptable standard. First of all, you must understand that there are many different types of car covers you can choose from.
Types Of Car Covers
- Indoor Covers – Offering the least amount of protection for your car, this type of cover is ideally utilized in an indoor storage area like a garage. These covers protect the car from dirt and dust and sometimes water but not from the harsh weather conditions outside.
- Outdoor Covers – Designed to protect cars outdoors, this type of cover safeguards the car from wind, sun, and dust. A good quality car cover usually comes designed with durable straps or an elastic hem to ensure the cover does not blow off during strong winds. They are also thicker and resistant to water.
- All-Weather Covers – providing optimum protection against extreme weather conditions, these covers are thicker and heavier and safeguards the car from strong winds, heavy rain, and hailstones. Some of the all-weather covers come with an insulation to ensure the car doesn’t freeze during cold weather. This cover is ideal for those who live in areas that experience severe weather conditions throughout the year.
Benefits of Using A Car Cover
- Protects the car from dust and debris when in storage
- A good quality car cover can be expensive, but this would help you save a lot of money in the long run – on repairs.
- Offers protection against the most severe weather conditions including heavy rain, hailstones, storms, and snowfall.
- Protects your car from thieves
- A good cover will keep your car protected from scratches and dents
- Prevents mildew, mold, and rust from settling on your car, which could cause damaging effects.
What To Consider
- Size – Choosing a cover that fits your car perfectly will work best. A cover that’s too large will move about during strong winds and allow dust, dirt, and water to enter while a cover that’s too small will not cover the car properly. Always check the measurements of your car to ensure you get the best fit.
- Price – A good quality cover would be fairly expensive of course, but this doesn’t mean that all good covers are expensive. In fact, there are many covers that might not be expensive but are strong enough to withstand hail, rain, and snow while keeping your car protected. Without compromising on quality, it is also important to keep a check on your budget, therefore it is advisable to look around and read reviews before you make your choice. You might just find a cheaper cover that works just as good.
- Indoor or Outdoor – This factor solely depends on personal preference more than anything, especially if you have a garage that you occasionally use. It is important to know where you would be storing your vehicle so that you can buy the right type of cover, especially if you often park it outside.
- Portability – For those of you who travel a lot, a lighter, less bulky cover is recommended. Choose a cover that comes with a storage bag if possible, not just for when you’re storing it at home but also for whenever you plan on taking the cover with you when you travel. This would allow you to carry it around with ease and to store it easier whenever you have no need for it.
- Weather Resistance – Be sure to choose a cover that will withstand the type of weather conditions common to your geographical location. If, for instance, you live in an area that experiences stormy, harsh weather, it is recommended that you buy a stronger, good quality cover; whereas if you live in an that is sunny for the most part of the year, then perhaps you should go for a cover that is lighter and designed for milder conditions.